Mary Berry’s Ten minute tomato soup –
Prep time: Less than 30 mins | Cooking time: 10-30 mins | Serving: serves 6-8 | Dietary: Vegetarian
6 sun-dried tomatoes in oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
500ml/18fl oz chicken or vegetable stock
1 tbsp caster sugar
150ml/5fl oz full-fat milk
150ml/5fl oz double cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3–4 tsp basil pesto, to serve
1. Set a large, deep pan over a medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil from the sun-dried tomatoes. Add the garlic and stir-fry for a few seconds, or until it just starts to colour.
2. Add the sun-dried and tinned tomatoes, stock and sugar and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then cover with a lid, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and, using a hand blender, blend the soup in the pan. Stir in the milk and cream and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper before heating through on the hob.
4. Serve hot with ½ teaspoon basil pesto swirled on the top of each bowl of soup.
Tuna and sundried tomato pasta bake –
Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins | Serving: serves 6 | Dietary: Pescatarian | Storage: Freezable
500g dried rigatoni (or any other short pasta)
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
4 thyme sprigs, leaves only
300ml double cream
280g jar sundried tomatoes, drained and quartered
198g can no added salt sweetcorn, drained
3 x 120g cans tuna in spring water, drained
100g cheddar, grated
50g parmesan, grated
1. Heat the grill to its highest setting and put a large saucepan of salted water on to boil. Tip in the pasta and cook for 1 min less than the pack suggests.
2. Meanwhile, make the sauce by simmering the tomatoes in a pan with a little seasoning and the thyme for about 5 mins. Pour in the cream, stir and simmer another 4-5 mins.
3. Drain the pasta while reserving a little of the cooking water, and tip back into the saucepan. Pour over the creamy tomato sauce, the sundried tomatoes, sweetcorn, and tuna. Layer into a baking dish (we used 22cm x 29cm), scattering over the grated cheddar between layers. Sprinkle the parmesan on top and put under the grill for 5 mins until bubbling and golden.